Thursday, December 7, 2017

UFC 220

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/12/6/16744036/stipe-miocic-slated-to-defend-heavyweight-title-against-francis-ngannou-at-ufc-220

I don't share your confidence but I am picking Ngannou to win.

This fight will come down to grappling; if Francis can keep his base solid and avoid the TD he will find a home for something and win by KO/TKO, if he can’t, then Miocic does to him exactly what he did to Hunt and win byGNP stoppage.
My feeling is that Francis prevails. Overeem couldn’t dump him and although Miocic is a considerably better grappler/wrestler I don’t think it’s going to be enough. I think Francis basically just shrugs him off or it stalls on the fence and the ref resets it. Ngannou will connect in an exchange and become champ. I didn’t like how Miocic was flashed by Overeem before recovering and getting the KO….He won’t recover from what Francis laces him with.
It’s by no means a foregone conclusion however. Miocic will be his biggest test by far.
Posted by Moonwalrus on Dec 7, 2017 | 2:21 AM

I like Stipe but I love Francis even more.

Big fan of the African culture and their beautifull women and got a huge men crush on Francis. I don’t remember being as hyped about a fight as I was last weekend. Would be so freaking amazing if he win.
Posted by DominicPoker on Dec 7, 2017 | 2:34 AM

Well, there's a lot to like about 'african' culture and a lot to not like about it.

Africa is very diverse culturally, much more culturally diverse than Europe. There’s over 2000 languages spoken within the continent of Africa. In truth there’s no homogenous African culture;it’s much more cosmopolitan than that.
My Aunt is a teacher and donates her time teaching African ( mostly Sudanese) refugees and economic migrants English and yeah…there’s a lot of undesirable aspects of ‘African’ culture. They have a very, very serious problem with rape. My Aunt tells me that more of the women she teaches report having been raped than not. And then you get into female circumcision etc, which may or may not be a bade thing depending on your world view ( we do it to men, after all).
Posted by Moonwalrus on Dec 7, 2017 | 2:41 AM

That's mostly been my experience of Africans too.

I’m still in touch with an African guy( Liberian) I met at University actually ( he was doing my degree). One of the nicest people I’ve ever met despite having had to live things that I doubt I could have survived. I won’t go into it but he escaped death in Africa with his infant child to come to Australia, only to have said son diagnosed with Luekamia. My heart just went out to him man…life is not a bowl of cherries. But despite all that he’s still one of the best natured, kind and thankful people I’ve ever met. It makes me ashamed of how much of an arsehole I can be TBH.
Posted by Moonwalrus on Dec 7, 2017 | 3:05 AM

Ugh! That was too hard...

Part of our selfpreservation makes us selfish douches..
Posted by Schpnhr on Dec 7, 2017 | 4:46 AM

Interesting conversation

I’ve never been to Africa but my observation is that for the vast majority of people living there, life is insecure in a way that for those of us living in the west it’s pretty much impossible to understand. If your greatest ambition is to find enough to eat for the day – then your life and the lives of others around you has much much less meaning… why take your AIDS medication if everyone around you dies before they reach 40 anyway? I think the closest we can imagine to how things might feel would be early medieval europe when people walked around with swords because yes – people might want to chop your head off. Vikings would turn up and just rape and kill your entire family… and if all that didn’t happen you could simply starve to death because of a shit harvest or die from dirty water.
Secondly recognise that the West has been massively instrumental in causing that insecurity that exists in Africa – there were powerful empires that existed in Africa centuries ago such as the Songhai but successive invasive actions by Western European powers destroyed them all. Also, after WW2 arbitrary lines were drawn up by the West and countries created that took no account of ethnic mixes, tribal and cultural backgrounds – thus creating dangerous melting pots that are still being unravelled – think of Liberia, Rwanda, Congo – the list goes on. Or consider the corporate exploitation that exists today by companies like Nestle etc… that keep millions of Africans in conditions of virtual slavery for Cocoa, Coffee etc… This culpability means that it’s simply not fair for us living in the west to judge what life is like in Africa because a. we bear a huge burden of responsibility.
Posted by Kelvin Liew on Dec 7, 2017 | 5:58 AM

No comments: